As the July 1st deadline for the doubling of interest rates on federally subsidized Stafford loans draws near, StudentDebtCrisis.org has partnered with a number of organizations such as: Young Invincibles, Youth Build, SparkAction, Our Time, Urban Underground, One Million Degrees, The Student Nation, United Negro College Fund, League of Young Voters, EdTrust, PIRG, Equal Justice Works, Campus Progress, USSA, NCLC, NCAN, Rock the Vote, La Raza Opportunity Nation, Moms Rising and Rebuild the Dream to participate in a national Social Media Day of Action.
All day today, Thursday, June 13th, millions of current and former students will be taking to the web to make their voices heard in Washington.
Here’s How You Can Participate:
Tweet Your Representatives:
- Click here to access the Student Debt Crisis comprehensive list of all 435 members of the House – find your Representative and click the link next to his or her name to send a pre-loaded tweet demanding #DontDoubleMyRate
Other Sample Tweets:
- Video: We believe in #DreamsNotDebt. Check out why we can’t afford for fed student interest rates to 2x 7/1 http://bit.ly/11paUgP
- How many burritos worth of #StudentDebt do you have? Check out @YI_Care’s interactive #infographic http://debt.younginvincibles.
Write to your Representatives:
Post on Facebook:
- Video Alert! We believe in #DreamsNotDebt. Check out why we can’t afford for federal student interest rates to double on July 1st http://bit.ly/11paUgP
Sign These Petitions:
- Tell Congress to Bank on Us!
- $51 Billion in Student Loan Profits – Tell Congress This Has to Stop!
- Don’t Raise the Interest Rates on Student Loans
- Support the Student Loan Fairness Act – HR 1330!
- Stand With Me and Tell Congress: Stop Student Loan Interest Rates From Doubling
Participate in #DreamsNotDebt Twitter Town Hall
- We’re having an all-day Twitter Town Hall on Thursday, June 13th from 9am to 5pm EDT. Join us to see which special guests will drop in. We’ll be using the hashtag #DreamsNotDebt. You can submit questions to @YI_Care ahead of time or tune in and ask your questions during the chat.